American Express expense management solutions can help your company work smarter by streamlining purchasing and simplifying the expense reporting and reconciliation process.
Expense Management System
For any business, managing expenses and cash flow is as important as growing revenue. Fortunately, your company doesn’t need a team of experts to improve its expense management processes – it just needs the right tools. Drawing on its extensive experience, American Express has developed an expense management system to streamline purchasing and simplify reporting and reconciliation processes for work related expenses.
American Express provides a range of tailored cost management solutions that are designed to help you:
- Drive real savings for your business
- Streamline processes to reduce time and cost
- Improve cashflow
- Facilitate efficient administration of expense management systems using online tools
- Maximise control and improve compliance with purchasing policy
All backed by superior 24-hour worldwide service.
Gain visibility over business expenses
With American Express Expense Management Solutions, travel expenses, entertainment, and work related costs can be recorded in a complete expense management system. This provides complete transparency of Company expenses, allowing management to more effectively achieve objectives such as:
- Consolidating suppliers and identifying savings opportunities
- Driving compliance and identifying abnormal spending behaviour
- Setting individual limits by staff and expenditure type
- Leveraging insights to compile best practices
- Integrating expense management and management information systems
- Simply and pro-actively discovering trends
- Improve operating cash flow
You also have 24/7 access to reporting online, with data that can be sorted, manipulated and customised according to your individual requirements. With this level of spending control it is easier to attain a comprehensive reduction in costs, increase revenue and give your Company a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Discover for yourself why more Companies are using American Express to help take control of their expense management.
Corporate Card Programmes Learn more
Purchasing Solutions Learn more
Business Travel Account Learn more
Depth of Business Insight
Our in-depth knowledge and expertise allows us to provide focused advice on your programme and give you strategic solutions to help you realise maximum savings and return on your investment.
Leverage our implementation expertise to build a best-in-class programme:
- Nearly 100 dedicated implementation managers around the globe
- Experience with companies in all industries, sizes including Fortune 1000, Global 2000, and mid-size companies
- Trained experts with access to tools and best practices from thousands of real projects
Large accounts are assigned an Account Manager who is familiar with your industry, your challenges and your opportunities. In addition to providing outstanding support, your Account Manager will conduct regular account summary activities, as well as an annual strategic expense management review. The review is a way to benchmark your company's performance against your peers. From there, your Account Manager will advise on ways to modify and implement your card programme to assure continuous improvement.
If there is a need for your Company to leverage global tools, service and expertise to develop a multi-market programme, then the American Express Corporate Card Programme can help to provide:
- Consistent data through our Global Data Repository, closed-loop network infrastructure and direct merchant relationships
- A consolidated view of supplier spending across markets using our global reporting tools
- A holistic view of your programme with data files that populate expense management tools and financial systems across markets
- The opportunity to negotiate for greater savings from increased volume via a multi-market programme
- A cohesive programme through our experienced global implementation resources
World Class Service
Your company can take advantage of 24/7 programme support. And your Corporate Card Members will enjoy the exceptional global service and benefits of Card Membership.
Exclusive services include:
- 24/7 customer service
- 24/7 online account access, statements, payment, and expense report submission
- 24-hour emergency Card replacement
- Worldwide cash access
Worldwide Customer Care™ Services
Card Members who book their travel through one of our American Express Travel Service or Representative Offices enjoy the support of our extensive American Express Worldwide Customer Card services in over 2,200 Travel Service locations in more than 140 countries and territories worldwide. Our friendly, highly trained staff will help with the following services:
- Reconfirmation of air-tickets
- Sight-seeing arrangements
- Hotel and car rental reservations
- Flight rescheduling
For legal and medical emergencies while travelling, Card Members can call the complimentary Global Assist service that will connect them with an English-speaking lawyer or doctor. The service is available 24 hours a day virtually anywhere in the world, whenever Card Members travel more than 200km from home, for up to 90 days.
Emergency Cheque Cashing
Card Members who need to cash a personal cheque in a hurry can use their Corporate Card as a form of security. Card Members can cash a personal cheque for up to $1,000 every 7 days in Australia and every 21 days overseas at American Express Foreign Exchange Service Offices worldwide.
Benefits of a Commercial Card solution
Commercial Cards vs. Personal Credit Cards
When you ask employees to use personal credit cards for business expenses, they have to juggle corporate and personal expenses on a single card. That can be difficult for employees with limited credit access, such as recent graduates, and it can also make it harder for your company to manage expenses, since spend data is fragmented across multiple cards. It makes much more business sense to make use of a commercial card solution for business expenses to enable your business to better determine spending limits, liability, and billing options, so you'll have more control over employee spending. Plus, a corporate card makes it far easier to track spending and to ensure employees are working with preferred suppliers.
Commercial Cards vs. Cash
When you give employees cash, you're relying exclusively on internal controls to regulate how employees are spending money and whether they're returning unused funds. It can also create additional reimbursement procedures that can take up time and complicate your accounting. Our Commercial Card solutions enable you to define clear spending limits up front and to reimburse only company-approved expenditures. They provide critical documentation for tax purposes, as well as for verifying the accuracy of transactions. Commercial cards also can improve your cash flow by minimising or eliminating the need for cash advances.
Commercial Cards vs. Bank Cards
Expense management is the core business of American Express. By working with the leading provider of Commercial Card solutions, your company can take advantage of a level of expense management experience and expertise that commercial banks simply cannot offer. Your partnership with American Express also enables your company to benefit from our global presence and capabilities. Plus, you can provide employees with the distinctive worldwide service and benefits of American Express Commercial Card Membership such as Membership Rewards.
The Global Business Consulting team for the Asia Pacific region provides a range of standard and bespoke tools and services tailored to each customer to address specific areas of concern with respect to expense management. The Global Business Consulting partners with customers to identify process efficiencies, drive cost savings, analyse and optimise spend, identify areas for value creation and looks to provide recommendations on best-in-class solutions tailored to achieve your goals.
Some areas of focus where our customers have benefited from the recommendations and guidance have been:
- Visibility into employee spend behaviour
- Identification of Business to Business (B2B) spend
- Driving cost savings
- Review and development of policies
- Improving processes and procedures
- Sourcing effectiveness and supplier rationalisation
- Optimisation on both direct and indirect spend
- Driving compliance to policy
The Global Business Consulting team can assist to understand your existing program through analysis of current processes, policies and practices. The level of expense management program maturity is then identified in order to recommend the appropriate tools and advice required to progress your program to the next level of program maturity and towards best-in-class practices.
The different stages of program maturity and progression through these stages towards a Best-in-Class program are demonstrated in the Evolution of Optimisation diagram below.
Bespoke Consulting Services
The American Express Global Business Consulting team can provide Your Company with services that answer your specific requirements. By identifying new areas of growth and opportunities to optimise areas of Your Company’s expense management program these bespoke tools can assist to drive best-in-class practice.
Some of the solutions available to Your Company are:
|Expense Management Optimisation
||An in-depth analysis of your spend data with recommendations relating to supplier management, compliance, spend visibility and potential savings and benefits
|Value Creation Analysis
||An analysis of commodity and supplier spend with recommendations to achieve sourcing, process and control savings
|Business Process Review
||An in-depth analysis of your expense management processes and systems accompanied with best practice process transformation recommendations to deliver cost savings and employee convenience
||A full critique of your expense management policies accompanied with recommendations for improvement to achieve a best-in-class policy
The Global Business Consulting team’s thought leadership experts research and provide informed perspectives into industry and sector specific areas of interest. These findings are used to help Your Company proactively and effectively manage, flex and adapt your business to current and future trends.
Some of the Thought Leadership tools include:
- Client Forums
- Industry Insights
- Case Studies
The American Express Global Business Consulting team aims to be your strategic partner in expense management solutions with:
- Access to best in class practices from American Express studies and experiences from client engagements
- Tools for visibility to support audit, compliance and budget management
- A regionally based team servicing the Japan, Asia Pacific and Australia region
- Cross-sector industry experience and knowledge base
American Express offers Card members secure and convenient services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, to manage their Corporate Card online.
Manage Your Card Account (MYCA)
A complimentary service that helps Card members review and reconcile their expenses online, without having to wait for monthly Corporate Card statements. The MYCA service:
- Allows access to Account information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Tracks current charges and payments, and shows statements ready for download up to the last six months
- Tracks unbilled balances and new charges
- Allows Card members to review their Membership Rewards balance1
- Avail of our Secure Message Centre, a secure channel for you to ask questions that are specific to your Account. As an alternative to calling customer service, the Secure Message Centre gives you another convenient way to communicate with American Express about your Account
- Card members can register for Manage Your Corporate Account here
American Express provides monthly statements online only. Enrolment for Online Statements requires individual action by each of your Card Members and takes just a few minutes. To ensure your Card Members receive monthly statements, they need to enrol in Manage Your Card Account here and select the Paperless Statement delivery option during registration.
Online Statements provide your Card Members with the ability to access statement and Account information from anywhere in the world, 24/7, via the Internet. This brings greater convenience, speed and simplicity to their day-to-day expense management.
Card Members can do the following online at Manage Your Card Account including:
- Review their Membership Rewards points balance
- Browse the Membership Rewards catalogue
- Transfer Membership Rewards points to one of the participating partner programmes or redeem their favourite rewards
Subject to Card Member enrolment in Membership Rewards.